- Took the completely ridiculous Life in the UK exam; successfully obtained Indefinite Leave to Remain.
- Learned/re-learned how to throw pottery at Skandihus. Despite covid-interruptus, it was wonderful to have that creative outlet periodically.
- All the dev conferences went online. I attended Women of React and Brighton Ruby, both of which were great.
- I did a Practical Cartooning for Technical Folks course and proceeded to spend a lot of happy time drawing. Thank you, Rachel!
- Took two writing courses with Write Like A Girl (on Zoom). When we were under lockdown and I couldn’t go to the pottery studio, at least I always had writing to do!
- Baked, and ate, a lot of sourdough bread
- Tried to find the most pandemic-compatible holiday options in lieu of a family vacation (we took a sleeper train to Scotland, I spent a week on a boat in the Red Sea)
- Left Rail Europe (along with the majority of their staff worldwide); took some time off work to recover from burnout
- Learning conversational Italian thanks to the magic of Duolingo
- Senior Developer at Happy Bear Software (RIP)
- Went on a pretty amazing boat tour of the Scottish Highlands and Islands
- Participating in far too many book clubs, reading all the books
- Went on a family vacation to southern Italy
- Took a solo trip to Granada to see La Alhambra
- Senior Software Engineer at Loco2 (RIP)
- Blew all my savings on [*REDACTED*]
- I moved to London.
- Started calling myself a writer once I started getting paid for blogging: Jezebel
- Worked for BrewDog at their bar in Shoreditch and bottle shop in King’s Cross. Handled social media, events, and revived their email newsletter.
- Passed the Certified Cicerone examination. I’m literally certified to be a beer snob.
- Ate a lot of pizza in Rome
- Learned to scuba dive in Thailand, learned to
cook in Bali
- Visited Belgium, Amsterdam,
Copenhagen, Munich, and Berlin
- Took a train from San Diego out to Chicago
- Hugged some redwoods in California
- I turned 30. I visited the seventh
continen; made friends with a
- Backpacked around Patagonia, just for kicks
- I did copywriting and editing for an advertising agency, working primarily for
clients in the healthcare sector: Indiana University Health, Roche Diagnostics, Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Mentored teens in web development at the Adler Planetarium’s Web-Making Workshop for Civic Action
- Lost my best pal (this was devastating)
- I edited Distance, a quarterly publication of long-form writing about design and technology.
- Finally made it to the very top of Half Dome in Yosemite, after making my first attempt 15 years earlier.
- I edited the second edition of Cadence and Slang, a book about interaction design by Nick Disabato.
- Took an epic 4-week trip through the South Pacific, with stops in Australia,
New Zealand, and French Polynesia
- Died of happiness a little bit whilst hugging a
koala, and probably smelled
very bad by the time I finished backpacking along the Milford
- Finished a Certificate in Medical Writing and Editing at the University of Chicago’s Graham School
- Went to Bogotá for a bit
- From 2010 to 2015, I worked for the University of Chicago’s Center for
Health and Social Sciences. I replaced their old fixed-width framed site with a
responsive layout, and created updated templates for their Adobe Contribute CMS.
I updated the visual design of all marketing materials and created a series of
Annual Reports which were distributed widely to funding agencies and collaborators.
- I moved from San Diego to Chicago. Learned the meaning of
- From 2007 to 2010, I was the Assistant Librarian for the San Diego Zoo. In 2010 we published our research on zoo libraries.
- I hiked the Inca Trail in Peru. It was pretty great.
- Finished a Master’s in Library and Information Science from San Jose State University
- Taught SAT prep courses for Kaplan in the evenings and on weekends
- Worked as a Library Assistant at the Museum of Photographic Arts in San Diego from 2006 to 2007
- Volunteered for the San Diego Public Library and the San Diego Zoo library
- Graduated with a BA in Literatures of the World from the University of California, San Diego
- Studied Fine Art and Photography at the University of California, Santa Cruz.
- Spent six months or so studying in London and traveling around Europe
- Graduated high school at age 16
- Started at University of California, San Diego