- Learning conversational Italian thanks to the magic of Duolingo
- Senior Developer at Happy Bear Software (RIP)
- Went on a pretty amazing boat tour of the Scottish Highlands and Islands
- Participating in far too many book clubs, reading all the books
- I moved to London.
- Started calling myself a writer once I started getting paid for blogging: Jezebel
- Worked for BrewDog at their bar in Shoreditch and bottle shop in King’s Cross. Handled social media, events, and revived their email newsletter.
- Passed the Certified Cicerone examination. I’m literally certified to be a beer snob.
- Ate a lot of pizza in Rome
- Learned to scuba dive in Thailand, learned to
cook in Bali
- Visited Belgium, Amsterdam,
Copenhagen, Munich, and Berlin
- Took a train from San Diego out to Chicago
- Hugged some redwoods in California
- I turned 30. I visited the seventh
continen; made friends with a
- Backpacked around Patagonia, just for kicks
- I did copywriting and editing for an advertising agency, working primarily for
clients in the healthcare sector: Indiana University Health, Roche Diagnostics, Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Mentored teens in web development at the Adler Planetarium’s Web-Making Workshop for Civic Action
- Lost my best pal (this was devastating)
- I edited Distance, a quarterly publication of long-form writing about design and technology.
- Finally made it to the very top of Half Dome in Yosemite, after making my first attempt 15 years earlier.
- I edited the second edition of Cadence and Slang, a book about interaction design by Nick Disabato.
- Took an epic 4-week trip through the South Pacific, with stops in Australia,
New Zealand, and French Polynesia
- Died of happiness a little bit whilst hugging a
koala, and probably smelled
very bad by the time I finished backpacking along the Milford
- Finished a Certificate in Medical Writing and Editing at the University of Chicago’s Graham School
- Went to Bogotá for a bit
- From 2010 to 2015, I worked for the University of Chicago’s Center for
Health and Social Sciences. I replaced their old fixed-width framed site with a
responsive layout, and created updated templates for their Adobe Contribute CMS.
I updated the visual design of all marketing materials and created a series of
Annual Reports which were distributed widely to funding agencies and collaborators.
- I moved from San Diego to Chicago. Learned the meaning of
- From 2007 to 2010, I was the Assistant Librarian for the San Diego Zoo. In 2010 we published our research on zoo libraries.
- I hiked the Inca Trail in Peru. It was pretty great.
- Finished a Master’s in Library and Information Science from San Jose State University
- Taught SAT prep courses for Kaplan in the evenings and on weekends
- Worked as a Library Assistant at the Museum of Photographic Arts in San Diego from 2006 to 2007
- Volunteered for the San Diego Public Library and the San Diego Zoo library
- Graduated with a BA in Literatures of the World from the University of California, San Diego
- Studied Fine Art and Photography at the University of California, Santa Cruz.
- Spent six months or so studying in London and traveling around Europe
- Graduated high school at age 16
- Started at University of California, San Diego